Melbourne is a favorite Australian city that draws visitors from all over the world. It’s a place where you can visit with a campervan hire Australia or stay in one of the city’s fanciest hotels.
It’s a place where you can find good food, whether you visit a gourmet restaurant or you visit a “hole in the wall.” Melbourne is where festivals happen and where there is always something cultural going on.
With that being said, Australia tends to be a pricey place to travel. If you’re a budget traveler, you’ll want to figure out how to spend less while enjoying more. Following are some ideas to help you be able to visit Melbourne on a budget:
- Look for the cheap eats. As much as you may want to eat at the top restaurants in Melbourne, if you’re traveling on a budget, they may be out of your price range. This doesn’t mean that you can’t eat well. There are plenty of options that offer low-fare food that tastes amazing. You may need to hunt a little, but you’ll be sure to find cheap eats that satisfy your palate. From India cuisine to vegetarian meals, there is something for everyone.
- Rent a campervan hire Australia. Instead of staying in a fancy hotel or trying to get along with strangers in a hostel, book a campervan hire. There are cheap camp sites where you can park and there are even campervan rental companies that will rent their campervans for next to nothing if they need them to be returned to another city. There are even places where you may be allowed to freedom camp, but just make sure that you find out for sure beforehand. It can cost you a lot if you park in an illegal area. You’ll get to visit Melbourne and travel Australia while you’re at it.
- Visit free galleries and museums. Some galleries will cost you and yet others won’t. Who says a budget traveler can’t be artsy? Find the museums and galleries that have free entry days or always do and then go observe the art with all the confidence in the world. Because art is big in Melbourne, it’s worth your time to participate in the art culture in the area. If you really don’t want to spend, go visit The Lane. It’s free, but the coffee shops are not.
- Explore the CBD. Walking is free and so is exploring CBD. If you want to get to know a trendy area of Melbourne, walk the CBD and observe the beauty and majesty of the buildings, skyscrapers, and people. It’s free to look, after all. Just be forewarned that as one of the most happening spots in Melbourne, you’ll probably be tempted to spend some money while there at one of the bars or restaurants. If you have a little bit extra saved from saving on lodging, well, it’s worth enjoying a bite to eat or a drink or two at one of the local CBD restaurants or bars.
- Check out the State Library of Victoria. If you want to explore a romantic setting, go ahead and visit the State Library of Victoria. Read a book, browse the shelves, and use the free WiFi while you’re at it.
- Go the beach. If beaches were expensive, what a sad world it would be, but it costs nothing to go to the ocean, so forget the fact that you can’t afford a yacht and throw a towel done and get some sun. It’s free, it’s healthy for you, and you’ll be sure to meet other people while you’re at it. St. Kilda Beach is a good spot, and there is always a lot going on.
- Don’t forget to check out the St. Kilda Penguin Sanctuary. You’ll be able to appreciate the migrating penguins while visiting a beautiful place. Don’t worry, there is no harm done to the animals and it’s a great place to see these animals in a natural area that isn’t a zoo where they’re encaged.
Budget traveling doesn’t have to be a downer. In fact, Australia may be costly, but it has a lot of budget friendly things for travelers to do. Melbourne has a lot of culture and art and you don’t have to spend a fortune to have a good time.
Budget traveling doesn’t always get a good reputation, but it’s definitely doable. If you are looking for a way to spend less money but still get to travel, it’s a fantastic way of having your cake and eating it too. There is no reason to put off your dream trip of visiting Melbourne and Australia. It’s worth your time and research and traveling with less.
If you’re traveling in a campervan hire Australia, don’t hesitate to visit Melbourne. You can still have a good time without spending your savings. Happy traveling!